Sunday, November 6, 2016

Class #4

Epistolary Ecstasy Class #4 took place at Cafe Ventana, a bohemian bistro close to Grand Center and SLU.  It was my first visit and won't be my last - the atmosphere was comfy, coffee very good, and there was also a very tempting display of various yummies that someday must be sampled!
A beautiful, Fall, Saturday afternoon.  After a brief gathering, we were given our assignment = start writing a series of 7 notes to one recipient.  Luckily, I happened to have a few favorite postcards in my bag and Mark, our leader, generously offered picks from his own rich collection.  Bedecked with a delicious cappuccino, a bag of my favorite pens, a variety of special postcards, a strip of fun postage stamps - I set out to find my spot to get to work.
I landed at a corner table outside with a direct view to the outdoor alley.  Not pictured in this photo, but present for some time, was a lone saxophone player completing the scene.  It took only a few minutes to decide my recipient and then, about 5 - 10  more to put pen to a card.  I'm wondering, now, if the afternoon's musician would have been a guitarist or anything other than a saxophone player - if my choice of the recipient would have differed?
An hour passed so quickly, I only finished 3.5 cards before it was time to gather together again and share some thoughts.  I'm meeting new people, finding new coffee shops, and dedicating almost 2 hours each Saturday to explore, share, and practice my love and the art of correspondence.
(Thank you, Johnny Dolan, for thinking of me when you saw this class offering.)

No comments:

Post a Comment